Saturday, March 26, 2011

Doug has returned


About 10 days ago Doug returned to Fairbanks after traveling to southeast Asia and visiting his mother and friends in the lower 48. I continued to stay at his cabin for about a week to help him get back in the groove of the bush life. As of now I have moved back down to the lake cabin and will stay there for couple weeks. On April 5th I will be catching a flight back to Minnesota to visit for a few weeks and return in time to catch the beginning of summer.

While I stay at the lake I will be spending a lot of time cutting trees around the cabin and on the perimeter of the lake. Most of the trees I will be taking down are about to fall into the lake or are leaning very badly. There are also handful of trees that need to come down to allow more sunshine to hit my solar panels throughout the day.

When I return from Minnesota I am planning on getting a job in town or in the surrounding area and am hoping to spend the weekends out on the Chatanika. I do plan on purchasing the lake cabin from Doug and there is a lot of work I plan on doing to the cabin and property.

With the intention of doing a lot of building and tree cutting I decided I should get my own chainsaw. In the picture above I am holding my new pride and joy, a Stihl MS 362. It's a pro grade saw and is the same saw the forest service and fire crews use. The 362 is a step up from the Husqvarna saws I had been using the past year. I wanted a little more power and low end torque, but that came at a price. The saw is a little bigger and heavier than Doug's saws and cost me over $700! I am hoping that it will be a one time purchase and will last the rest of my life.

Well, I'm off to tear down my generator, since the pull start destroyed itself last night, and hope to get something rigged so I don't have to rely 100% on my little solar setup.

No comments:

Post a Comment