Thursday, March 10, 2011

Moose hanging around Doug's







Here are a few pics of the moose that has been hanging around the cabin. The first two I took just after getting out of bed in the morning, on my way out to start the generator. Luckily I spotted the moose before the dogs did so I was able to keep them from running up the hill after it. I had been up that part of the hill previously looking for firewood and had seen several spots where it had been bedding down along the ridge-line. The third pic was taken right out the atrium door at about one o'clock in the morning. I had been up late reading in bed and just as I was turning out the light Aggie, who was laying on the floor next to the bed, started woofing. She made her way down stairs and kept barking but I turned off the light and hoped whatever it was would just pass through. After a few minutes Aggie was still barking so i figured I better see what's going on. With flashlight in hand I went down stairs and looked out the living room window, didn't see anything, walked towards the atrium and looking back at me right next to the window was a big moose! I went right for my camera and by the time I had it the moose had walked a little further into the front yard. I opened the atrium door as quietly as I could, reached around the corner and snapped the pic you see. Right after I took the picture the moose proceeded to munch on some of Doug's favorite trees so I ended up clapping my hands and yelling until it slowly made it's way out of the yard. With the warmer weather we are having I probably won't see it up here again, but that was pretty cool having it stay right around the cabin for a couple weeks.

Last night there was a spectacular northern lights show and I made an attempt at getting some pictures of it. Unfortunately the moon was out at the same time messing up my exposure so the pics didn't turn out that good. I'll sort through the photos I shot and see if I can find a few that are worthy to show you.

No comments:

Post a Comment