Monday, May 30, 2011

No bears yet, but...









I woke up the other morning, looked out the window and there staring back at me was a big fat porcupine! I'm glad I spotted it before I let Sammy out, I don't feel like pulling quills out of her again. Where the porcupine was in the yard was well out of reach from Sammy while she is chained up and I was able to get the chain on her before I let her out of the cabin. I think she remembered what those quills felt from the last time, because she didn't seem to want to have anything to do with it when she got outside.



I couldn't seem to do anything to scare it off until I split a little firewood around the back side of the cabin. And then it only went down the hill about 20 feet and hid under a spruce tree I cut down this spring. It spent the whole day and late into the evening just down the hill between the cabin and the lake.



When I finally went to bed it was still down by the lake milling around one of the beaver lodges. The next morning I did a quick survey around the yard before I let Sammy out and didn't see it anywhere around the cabin. I went up to Doug's cabin later in the day and made sure Sammy was right on my hip the whole time just in case it was still hanging around.



In other news it's been very hot and dry lately and wild fires are popping up everywhere. Right now airplanes are fighting one somewhere over the ridge to the east of Doug's. Fortunately the wind is working in our favor right now and blowing it away from us.



The first couple pics are of the porcupine in the front yard right next to my scrap lumber pile. And the other shows how hot it's been lately. It was taken about 12:30 pm a couple days ago while the thermometer was still in the shade.

No comments:

Post a Comment