Friday, May 27, 2011

Busy as a Beaver































Looks like I'm not the only one at the lake getting some work done. I spotted a beaver in the slough a while ago and was able to snap a pic of it. As of this morning it is still hanging around so I'd assume that it has taken up residence in one of the old beaver lodges on the lake.



After getting the cabin and yard cleaned up I started right in on putting in a garden. There was a spot at near the cabin where a garden once was but hasn't been used for well over a decade. The soil was mostly all compacted silt which unfortunately won't support much plan growth. So my plan was to trench out rows into the rock and silt and manufacture my own soil and replace it in the trenches.



To make plantable soil I had to dig up some tundra down to where the silt and rock layer began, about 6 inches deep, sift through the tundra, add some sand hauled from the river and throw in some old stove ashes. It would take about 2 to 3 days digging, hauling and sifting to make enough dirt for a 12 inch wide by 8 foot long row.



This has been an ongoing project for almost two weeks but I'm coming to the end for this season. According to Doug anything that I want to plant needs be be in by the end of this weekend to have a harvest in the fall.



The photos after the pic of the beaver are the progression of the garden. It's not much of a garden but I hope I can get some good veggies out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment