Friday, August 6, 2010

Surrounded by wild life




I seems everywhere I turn out in the bush I am surrounded by wildlife. Down at the lake cabin I still have the moose that visits regularly, foraging on algae from the lake bed. And I have watched through the spring and summer the pair of trumpeter swans raise six, what were little babies, now they are as big as Dougs geese. As I mention the geese, right now Doug is on a special trip to town to drop off 9 of the geese. His original plan was to have 4 geese but every year they seem to multiply them selves. Back my original story, the other morning Doug was walking through the garden on his way to check on the geese and out of the corner of his eye he caught something moving up on the hill side. He stopped and starred up the hill for a moment and spotted a lynx creeping through the brush! What a treat, out of all the years he's spent in the bush he has never seen a lynx! I'd like to think mother nature is giving us a gift for appreciating that black bear someone else killed. And a couple nights ago while we were watching TV Aggie and Buster started barking at something in the chicken pen. Doug went to investigate and discovered a porcupine hanging out in a tree. So i grabbed my camera and got a couple pictures and a short video of it eating some birch leaves while laying on it's belly, feet dangling free.

No comments:

Post a Comment